Friday, February 24, 2012

What's the deal with Greek yogurt?

 I go through phases of eating alot of yogurt.  Normally spring, summer, and fall are my usual yogurt seasons.  Winter is more of a chicken pot pie season.  Now, I am talking about lunch time meals and not breakfast or dinner (who would eat yogurt for dinner?).  Recently I was eating my normal fat free Yoplait yogurt and when I went to the store I saw this greek yogurt and asked my wife about it.  A co-worker was telling me how her husband (a very fast runner) and her only eat greek yogurt because it is so amazing.  I asked my wife if she wanted me to pick some up instead of our normal yogurt and she did.
My wife had been eating this "Greek" yogurt for a couple of weeks and one day I decided to eat one and give it a try.  The reason it took me so long to try her Greek yogurt is that they cost 80 cents each instead of the normal 45 cents for fat free yogurt I pay.  Now I am a convert and enjoy this expensive treat but my mind kept thinking "why is this called Greek?"  My first thoughts were like a penny from each one sold goes to the Greek bailout or something. 

A little Bing search and I came across a website that describes how Greek yogurt has three times the protein and much less carbohydrates than normal yogurt.  That is good news for us type 1 diabetics.  The reason is this cheese cloth stuff that they do with it.  Here is the website for all my research (yes this is a website called "buzzle")

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt.html

I think the switch to greek for me was the more mature flavor it has (yes I mean bland), and the texture (I like thick yogurt).  Who knows how long I will be on this greek kick but yogurt is great for any body that travels.  There are enzymes in yogurt that keep you regular and when camping I like to make sure my movements are timely and regular.  You never want watery farting diarrhea while camping.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I enjoyed your blog but what is your favorite brand? I find that greek yogurts vary so much by brand in taste, texture, and health! I hate the ones like Chobani which add "CORNSTARCH" or "GUAR GUM" to their yogurt to make it thick, instead of the natural process (cheesecloth straining) like the greeks used to make it thick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete