Tuesday, February 21, 2012

He's Going the Distance!

 Yesterday I told you about how I was real smart and decided to do a half marathon with almost no training.  Above you can see the picture of the blurry starting line.  All 233 or so participants were excited just like myself (I was starting to think this thing was crazy).
 In the end I finished and got the "finishers" medal thing to prove it.  I was hoping for a bigger medal thing that just maybe said "half marathon finisher" or something.  This is nice and I will always remember how my lungs gave out at mile eight and the rest was just run on my diabetes and good looks. 
 Everyone who does distance running in the Dallas area has these stickers that show their distances they have covered.  There are the 5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2 and some sort of 70 somethings and so on.  I broke down and bought one as a fun gag (no, it is not on my truck).  I have it in my cubicle now above my www.insulindependence.org sticker.  Friends were telling me, Dave you have completed several marathons why would you get a half marathon sticker?  The reason is I feel those marathons were in my past and currently I am just a half kind of guy.
I also have the t-shirt to prove I did it as well.  OK, maybe I am giving the t-shirt to my wife.  She really likes to get these long sleeve T's.  In the end I now feel encouraged to do some training and get on pace to do another half or maybe a full marathon.  My wife would really like to do something like this as well.  Diabetes is alot like running (OK, it is not but just roll with me), the more you train and practice the better you are off.  You will have good days and bad days but if you have a goal, lets say an A1C in a certain range then that is motivation to eat better and test often.  Then if something comes up like a cold or a sore, you have to address it, take care of it, and once it is good push through it.  If you let the aches and pains stop you it takes twice the effort to get back to where you were.  So lets all diabetics unite as one big support group and get our butts in diabetes shape and help one another to live a long and healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment