Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Helping Hand

My wife is in love with paddle boarding.  She does this about twice a month, either with a class or rents them from the local boat shop.  The cost of doing this for her is something in the neighborhood of a hundred bucks each time.  So her natural progression is to purchase a paddle board.  The only problem with buying a paddle board is that they cost at a minimum of 800 dollars and easily get to 1,200 and beyond.  I mentioned to her that there is probably someone out there that has purchased one and has a deep discount on it to get it out of their garage.  Think of people with road bicycles, lots of people buy one and ride the first year then it sits in the garage and eventually winds up on craigslist for pennies on the dollar.  I love craigslist!
Being the good husband I am (this is where everyone chuckles).  I see last weekend this car loaded down with these giant flat foam board things and keep my eye on the vehicle so when the owner comes by I can ask him about them.  He also had two kayaks sticking out the back so this guy new about water sports.  When I catch up to him he lets me know the board as seen above are called "Paddlebuoy" boards.  They run in the 200 dollar range and have a steel frame system in them to keep from being torn up.  There were about a million light bulbs going off in my head.  How cool is this, a cheap practical alternative to paddle boards but it still does the same thing.

I get home from the weekends festivities and was so excited to tell my wife about this alternative form of paddle boarding.  She looked them up on the web and lets just say she was less enthusiastic than I was.  Not sure if this is the kiddie model to paddle boarding or just that she wants the real deal.  I have never been or seen paddleboarding so I am not sure if this was an insult to the paddle boarding community.  Well it is still on for that elusive paddle board for the wife.  Let me know if you have one and lets make a deal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment