Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Teaching my son how things used to work

 Well my son wanted an old truck for his first vehicle. I was willing to settle on getting him an 87 Dodge D-150.  This truck is OK, it has power steering, power brakes, automatic transmission, and it also is old school with a carburetor.
 We have been doing alot of father and son work on this truck since it has a 225 cubic inch slant 6 engine that has had little work done to it.  The previous owner was going to rip it out and install a huge engine with a giant blower on it and all sorts.  The good things the previous owner did was the exhaust, brakes, interior, tires, and rims.  What is left for us is to get the engine running as a daily driver and not just a Saturday evening driver and pray it gets us back home style of truck.
This experience has been lots of fun because he gets to see how an engine works and how to fix it.  Then he understands more mechanical projects and how to plan and proceed with working on them.  The last thing he has learned is to appreciate his first vehicle.  I was asking him the other day how he was going to feel if he wrecked his truck and he responded by saying "I will beat up anyone that touches or hits my truck."  I asked him why and he said "Because I have spent so many hours working on this thing and it is my baby."  That made me proud of him that he was first proud of his work and that he appreciated the truck and wanted to take care of it.

Now if anyone can tell me how to fix a Holley model 1945 single barrel carb from leaking gas out the side that would be great.  I am thinking it is the bowl floats are set too high and the fuel is overflowing the bowl.  Then if you have any suggestions on how to get the grease off of my hands that would be great.  I currently use GOJO hand cleaner but it still leaves grease under my finger nails and I hope it is not affecting my BG readings when testing.  There has to be some diabetic mechanic out there that has a way to get my fingers clean.  My neighbor told me to use Palmolive soap first but that has not helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment