Monday, May 23, 2011

state parks and diabetes

I went to lake Ray Hubbard with my son this past weekend (5-21-11).  They were having a free fishing day at the park.  So the opportunist I am knew this would be a fun outdoor activity.  We have been attending the fishing derbies for trout in the winter and these clinics in the spring and summer for the past 5 years


We had the weekend off from camping because I had 2 eagle scout board of reviews saturday night.



This was a great time for my son and I, even if he tells me that he is getting a little old for the kid activities at the state parks.  We went to a halloween celebration at a state park last october 2010 and my son was more interested in the young women working the games than the games themselves.

So this got me thinking about the state park system and how great it is for diabetics that want a safe outdoor environment.  Since I am a scoutmaster and we camp regularly at Texas and Oklahoma state parks for a large number of our campouts.  I was thinking how much outdoors diabetics can use them to be safe and have alot of fun.  The empoyees have worked with us in many different ways to make things easier on us.  They have even given us discounts on canoe rentals, free nights of camping, and organized special activities for our troop.


I would give the state park system 5 out of 5 syringes on the diabetes scale for their product they offer, the diversity of the system, and the people that work at the parks.

Next part that puts the state park system over the top is the calendar of events.  In Texas you do not have to posses a fishig license to fish on the banks at a state park.  They offer regular activities for outdoor enthusiasts such as nature hikes, astronomy classes, introduction to camping classes, hiking, biking, and much more.


The fishing day  had classes about how to cast a rod, how to tie a knot, the ecosystem, the local fish in texas, and they offered free bait, free fishing poles, free bottled water, and free hot dogs.  The pond had been pre-stocked with fish so the catching was made easier.  It seemed that about 2/3rds of the kids caught a fish and one boy even caught a trout left over from the winter trout program they offer where residents can trout fish at certain Texas state parks over the winter (they die in the springtime). 

No comments:

Post a Comment