Monday, February 17, 2014

Friends with benefits!

So a couple of weeks ago I had Peter and Blair with www.insulindependence.org stop by Dallas to hang out with me and my diabetes for a few days.  They are on a cross-country adventure to visit members and also to recruit new members.  So if you are not a member of www.insulindependence.org you need to log on right now and sign up.  Then Peter and Blair were on a mission to find out what diabetics are looking for in an inter-web page that can work with the exercising diabetics.  I gave them the few things I would like to see such as a calendar of events and daily discussion items.
So one day while they hung out at my house while I was at work they decided to treat me to a home cooked diabetes meal.  I was expecting some sort of salad, baked chicken breast, steamed veggies, and a nice glass of water to wash it all down.  Instead they made me this awesome stir-fry chicken with vegetables and couscous all mixed together.  I for the life of me can't ever remember having couscous and with a single bite I was hooked.  I made them show me exactly how they did it and also to leave the box so I could get the right kind and everything.  The other great thing was how flippin easy it was to make this meal.  The couscous takes about five minutes at the most to make and the rest is just stir frying up some veggies.  I think this is the best way to learn new things to prepare that are out of your normal meal routine.  This is why I am a big person on saying "yes" to any invitation that I am invited for, you get the benefit of trying something new or a twist on something from a friend.  To keep an open mind about life and foods you can occasionally find something that is easy and tastes great.  I have now made this couscous meal two more times and have several more boxes ready for me to experiment with different veggies and heck even throwing an egg or two in it and make it like stir fry rice.  I am not sure if couscous is healthy or not but for right now it is good stuff.
 


1 comment:

  1. I used to eat couscous before I had to go gluten free (it has gluten). Now I eat quinoa, which I think tastes a little like couscous.

    ReplyDelete